Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas My Friends!



Time is flying by isn't it? For us its been a hectic December. Happily it has not been any crazier than any other month which is both good and bad. Bad because sometimes it would be nice if everything just slowed down for a bit. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the busyness is what we choose, we like to be social and busy, its the stuff we don't choose we could do without :) Good because even with Christmas coming and all of the preparations needed for that for the most part we have been able to keep on trucking along without any added stress.

 I have over a week off starting tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it. Jenn's folks and sister are coming to town and so Christmas will indeed be a festive one. I will be taking my kids to a movie and playing hockey (with Capsule as well as shinny) and plan to spend a lot of time playing road hockey with the boy. He has turned into a solid little defenceman but has also decided that when the playoffs roll around he should be the starting goalie. Its a good idea and he put it to his coach who (rightly) deferred on making the decision. Whichever way it goes its exciting for my little guy as he's gone from being essentially a passenger last season (to be expected as it was his first year playing) to a guy who is a key contributor on a very good team. He works hard at improving and he loves it so its a great experience allround.

 Though if he is in net in the playoffs I will have to drink first thing on game day, I know I won't be able to handle the stress. Like the old song goes 'Momma don't let your babies grow up to be goalies'

 I'm going to take my eldest out for lunch or some outing where we can just hang out. She's ten now (we told her we would spend a long weekend somewhere to celebrate and she chose Niagara so that is on the docket for the spring) and soon she will not want to spend so much time with her old man. She has been busting her ass at school this year without complaint and her marks are through the roof and seeing as she used to show signs of being a student like me (smart guy, bad work habits) I am very proud to see that she is taking after her mom when it comes to scholastics.

 And the 'baby'? Well she's five and so we will read some stories and play some games and if we get some snow to cover this ice we'll hit the park one street over and do some sledding and then go have a hot chocolate up on the Danforth.

 We'll have some drinks with neighbours and one night we will go out to celebrate my birthday that just passed (I barely feel a day over 46!) and we will enjoy the feast on Christmas Day and the wonder (there is still wonder thank goodness) in the kids' eyes when they come down the stairs on Christmas morning and see the tree.

 Its been a difficult year at times but all told it was a very good one for the most part. I am a lucky man and in the past week a number of people have said some lovely things about me - hopefully I won't get a swelled head but all kidding aside I appreciate the kind words, they mean a lot to these wrinkled old balls ;)

 Here is to all of you, Merry Christmas. I love this time of year and I hope that wherever you are that you enjoy good food and drink and the company of friends and family. Stay safe and warm. Enjoy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you, your family and friends.

HeavySig said...

I lost my best friend Tom to cancer about a decade ago. We knew each other since the 70's in grade school and he was the best man at my wedding. When we would meet up after not having seen each other for a couple of years, we would fall into our regular routine of finishing each others jokes and thoughts like we hadn't missed a beat. We could get our wives to pee themselves when we got rolling with out banter after a couple of nicely aged rye whiskys.

He had an amazing ability to communicate with people in such an honest and friendly manner that they inevitably warmed to him. I learned after my wedding that he had been best man at about 5 other weddings. He was my best friend, but apparently several others felt the same way and I didn't blame them. I saw him talk down giant rowdy drunks in the bar that were set on destruction to the point where they would do whatever he asked.

Around Christmas I am reminded of Tom, since that is the time of year we would inevitably catch up on our doings. I miss him.

Pat, you remind me a lot of him.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

kanadienkyle said...

Merry Christmas Pat. Thanks for your wonderful writing and I hope you enjoy a happy Christmas with your family. I have a 2 year old now, and Grandpa bought him a set of goalie pads. Should be a fun day in Sask.

Gord said...

Merry Christmas!

I have been checking daily to read my family man's perspective.

Merry Christmas!

Murat said...

Merry Christmas, Pat! Keep up the aging, you seem pretty good at it.

Mr. Pederson said...

Merry Christmas Pat! Love the site as always, best wishes to you and your family.

Black Dog said...

Long time coming but thanks everyone for the kind words and holiday wishes.

HeavySig - thank you for sharing Tom's story and to say that I remind you of him, well I really don't know what to say but thank you.