Thursday, October 17, 2013

Don't Mess WIth The Master

 Jenn turns forty next October and so a couple of years I ago I began kicking around the idea of a trip for her birthday. My folks are getting way up there and her folks, while younger, were gassed in April of 2012 when they helped me with the kids when Jenn was in Qatar for two weeks so while the idea of a trip for two is preferable it also became clear to me that this was going to be a family trip.

 We began talking about it and I made it clear that the destination was going to be a surprise with the only caveat being that it would not be somewhere we had been before. So no England, no Scotland, no Ireland. We would book the time off and then look at prices and go from there. And then I began to wonder why we were waiting for 2014. A lot could happen before then. At this time we are lucky enough to have our health and to be able to afford it so lets go.

 So six months ago or so we booked the time off and I began to look at possibilities. Europe was always the only destination really and we had the money so I began to look at flights. The choices were endless. Italy. Barcelona. Prague. The Low Countries.

 And of course France and Paris in particular.

 The problem was the prices were up there, of course we're talking months out here but for a while Prague was the frontrunner. Prague and a train trip to Vienna. Ideally I wanted to stay in one place but Prague/Vienna looked pretty sweet, it fit our budget and I didn't want to wait and wait and then get stuck.

 And then a buddy of mine who is a travel agent (one of the last I think, he's like a flightless bird on some island a few months after the Europeans arrived) got me a sweet deal and so Paris it was.

 I told the kids and we began to make our plans. Really I figured one of them would cough it up, after all we're talking nearly six months of keeping a pretty big secret. I didn't tell our youngest though. She's five and a blabbermouth, I might as well have rented a plane with a banner to fly just above our house or so I figured.

 (Funnily enough she overheard us talking about it about a month ago and she's a tougher nut to crack than any of us, a hardcore secret keeper, that one.)

 So six months we've kept the secret. Pretty cool eh?

 Here's the funny thing about the whole thing though, it was mid July and we were out for drinks and she began fishing and she kept saying 'Its Paris, I know its Paris! Where else would it be!' because we have talked about Paris, though not at length, and also because, you know, its Paris.

 So a couple of days later I went online and I found a sheet of common phrases with their Spanish translation, gave it to my eldest and told her to leave it laying around. Sure enough that night Jenn comes home from work ~ 9 or so, goes upstairs, looks in on the kids and comes down.

Where are we going?

Can't say.

Did you print something off for the trip for P?

*cocks head, looks pensive* Erm, maybe.

Well she left 'something' laying out in plain sight.

*looks shocked* Wha-a-a-a-t?

*looks smug* Uh huh.

OK so you have to promise not to say anything to her, she'll be devastated.

Oh I won't, I just can't believe you would give her something like that, she's such a flake.

*sits back, crosses arms behind head* Oh, I know. I know.

I'm writing this on Tuesday night, she just asked me if we should borrow a Spanish/English dictionary from a friend who has one. I told her it might not be a bad idea. I have it on good authority that she is convinced that its Spain.

Ha.

We're at the airport right now. This is going to be good.

3 comments:

Woodguy said...

You are more legend than man with this one.

Hope you make good time sir.

uni said...

Hope you enjoy the trip, also remind me never to play poker with you.

Murat said...

*Raises glass*

To a thoroughly splendid human being who just pulled off some serious marital ninja-ing!

Bravo, Pat. Holy hell, bravo.