Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fathers and Sons

 Dad turns eighty one this week, its hard to believe. He's slowed down a bit, as has Mom (just turned eighty) but of course its all relative, them slowing down puts them at about the same level as a typical sixty year old I think. They're getting ready to head up to the cabin for another summer, I think this is their forty sixth up there. No running water, no electric, its paradise for them and they'll go up as long as they are able.

 We've had a bit of a run of bad news over the past couple of months, one of Jenn's best friends and two of my cousins diagnosed with cancer, a dear friend's mom passing away, sometimes you go through these stretches, as you get older they pop up more often of course, and its been a bit of a tough row for me.

 With that said I'm hanging in there and a lot of it is thanks to my old man, I think that when he is long gone, years and years from now (hopefully many long years) he will have left something positive in this world, that being an infectious enthusiasm for life and what it offers. Sometimes life isn't easy but its a pretty damn fine ride and its important to enjoy it when you can and when you get knocked on your ass to pick yourself up and have at it again. My Dad has never been one to lecture or tell me what to do, he will give advice when asked but for the most part what I have learned from him is from watching him, for better or worse, enthusiastic, optimistic, careful with money, I like my beer ;) , calm and unflappable, a guy who enjoys the company of his family and friends.

 Its not a bad formula and of course like him I am flawed, we all are, but overall we do pretty well I think.

 My own kids are growing like crazy of course, the 'baby' is five in a month and our oldest is nearly ten. Its the best thing in the world, being a Dad, I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, being a good father is probably the most important thing in my life to me. Its not easy, here I am nearly ten years into it and while I can now sleep in I don't think I'll ever catch up on all of those lost hours of slumber. Anyhow they are finishing up another year of school and the summer should be a great one and then in the fall we are going on a big family trip to celebrate Jenn's fortieth (its actually in 2014 but I figured why wait, who knows what can change in a year). Its their first trip overseas and the two oldest are very excited, they want to travel and so this will be their first introduction to that world. Jenn doesn't know where we are going and its making her mental and the kids are enjoying that part of it as well.

 Jenn is working this weekend so I have the kids to myself. Yesterday morning the boy played his spring hockey championship and it was tight and tense and they won it all. Two seasons, two championships, we'll have to build a shelf for the trophies pretty soon. Then I played shinny in the afternoon at the old Gardens while they played mini hockey and their video games and ran the new sitter we are trying out ragged. Today we're just hanging out, they got me up with breakfast in bed that they made themselves and then we went to the local bakery for treats and coffee. Its a lazy day, its raining here and quite frankly we all kind of need one of those days where we sit around and do nothing.

 And that's just fine with me.

 Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there. Enjoy your day and be the best Dad you can be all of the time. Nothing more rewarding, nothing more important.

No comments: