Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas


 At this time of year we can lose track of what its all about. I almost lost sight of this last year. Life is busy and December can be even busier and in the running around and shopping and wrapping and preparing and last Christmas, well, I wasn't all bah hambug but I certainly felt worn down by it all. I enjoyed the day, its impossible not to when you have three little ones, but the leadup was an unpleasant grind.

 This year is no less busy, if anything its busier. Jenn has taken on new responsibilities at work which have squeezed things even tighter when it comes to time and sometimes it seems like there's no moment to breathe. Except ...

 I don't know if its the fact that I am getting older(turned 45 last week) but I think it is. I'm not 'old' by any stretch but I'm aware that I am now closer to 50 than to 40, if only by days (and how the fuck did that happen?) and I'm quite aware of, what is it, my own mortality? Sounds crazy and don't get me wrong, I'm not thinking of buying a Porsche (not that I could afford one) or having an affair with a neighbour (who has the time!?) nor for that matter am I sitting by the window looking at the moon thinking maudlin thoughts. I'm just ... aware of it.

 I've always enjoyed myself. I've always enjoyed the moment. It just seems that these days I've gotten a tighter grasp on this idea. Call it wisdom. Call is desperation ;) But things are good. They've always been good but they're even better now. The white noise, the grind, the little nags, these are all fading into the background, as they should.

 And so this Christmas season, despite the grind, has been a wonderful one, filled with parties, food and drink, laughing with friends, playing hockey, having a grand time. The kids are beside themselves with excitement at what comes tomorrow and I'm a lucky lucky man to have three healthy young ones.

 For those of you who drop by here now and then I want to wish you the merriest of Christmases. Celebrate! Eat, drink, spend time with your family and your friends. Laugh.

 The very best of the season to you all.

Pat

7 comments:

Lowetide said...

Right back at you, Pat. I think the best gift of all is realizing what you have, and clearly you have that gift.

PS, dog for Christmas? :-)

Black Dog said...

Thanks Alan and the best to you and yours as well.

I have asked for a dog the last two years, we wrapped last night, none of the packages had a wagging tail :(

Have a good post coming in next few days on the subject.

Merry Christmas!

docweb said...

Merry Christmas Pat,

Rarely post but love, love your work. Believe it or not, you are currently in your "salad days" in terms of Christmas time experiences. The empty nest that at times, I am sure you long for, is not what you expect. After reading your blogs for years I am quite sure you will long for the times you are now having after your kids have left...so enjoy!!!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Black Dog said...

Merry Christmas docweb and thank you for the kind words. I don't long for the passing of days at any time though. Its a grind at times but this is it and I plan on enjoying it.

Those days will come soon enough.

Bar Qu said...

Finally calming down here after two separate family christmas celebrations(!) but like you I am enjoying the kids enjoying their time. And I too feel worn thin by the craziness leading up to the holiday, but have heard enough from people that you really miss it when its done. As with all things in life, I think you need to see the beauty in the moment and not long for what you don't have (lest you get it).

All the best in the new year - I am fortunate to be able to read your thoughts (and many others) and gain the wisdom your perspective brings. Blessings.
Quinn

Schitzo said...

Sometimes I think kids exist to force their parents into the Xmas spirit. Had a very "bah humbug" December due to work, and back before the kids I probably would have blown off a lot of the socializing and family traditions. Not an option any more, fortunately.

Black Dog said...

Late to this but thank you Quinn.

Schitzo - yes for at least a few days we forget the rat race, more if we have the holidays to book, as I did this year. Thankful for that, all work and no play makes me a dull boy ;)