Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Dream A Little Dream


When I was a younger man I had a tendency to fall head over heels. And when I fell, I fell hard.
Mouth drying, throat tightening, stomach churning, leg weakening, groinal stirring, brain cramping crushes, man, I used to get them. Killers.
Last year in high school I met a girl and oh boy I was a mess for months. First year university as well. Disasters each time.
When I was young I struggled with the women. Part of it was going to an all guys' school and not having that daily contact and conversation in my teenage years. I roomed with a guy from high school years later and he talked about how another guy we went to school with who he kept in touch with was absolutely clueless when it came to women. Buddy was confident, funny, bright, athletic, he really had it going on, but if you're talking to him and you happen to be carrying around a vagina well he became a tongue tied loser. My roommate blamed it on high school all those years later.

I struggled myself for a while. I was a little bit shy on top of everything but as I got older and began to gain some life experience then things began to come together for me on that front. Its like anything really. You get older and you gain some confidence and then things work out just fine.

So while I was younger my crushes ended in nothingness, not even heartbreak really. They just petered out, unrequited.

But a couple of years into school I fell for someone and I acted on it. And then again. And then again after that. Things worked out pretty well each time. No worries.

It was during my last slacker years however that my shit really came together. I'd met a girl while working at the video store and we had become friends, good enough friends that we'd hang out, go to the movies, all that jazz. Good stuff. I actually stayed at her place (well her mom's place) for a week when I was working on my first shoot and found myself homeless (another story).
Anyways she had a sister who was away at school. I saw her around a couple of times but had never really met her until one day one summer the two of them come into the store and we get introduced. Both of us were taken at the time and she was just in town for a couple of weeks but we got to talking and we both wanted to see a movie that had just come out so we went a few days later.
The week following we did the same, grabbed a bite to eat as well. There was no hanky panky or shenanigans or any of that, not even implied. She headed back to school and we carried on.
A number of months later she returned for Christmas break and things had changed. Both of us were single now, for one thing. We started where we left off, just hanging out, enjoying each other's company. She was tiny and beautiful, at the time her hair was cut short short though it would grow out long and curly and lustrous. She was all personality and smarts - the type of girl who would walk into a room and you'd be drawn to her. So as the month of December wore on
and we spent more and more time together I began to realize that it was happening again and by the time I went home for Christmas I knew I had it bad.
I came back to Toronto and the night before she returned to school we hung out and had a terrific time, as we always did, and as I trudged home in the snow, a warm winter night, the sky a cloudy dome, I had to live with the fact that she was going for four more months and that I would have to live with it and, worst of all, that I hadn't said a damn thing about it.
A few days later I called her and we talked for an hour. The day after that she called me. This was fourteen years ago so we had no interweb and long distance was still expensive and I had no money so this was going to break me the way it was going and then after that second call or maybe it was the next one, we had just hung up and then the phone rang again and it was her and she was wondering what I was thinking and I told her what it was that I was thinking and the next day I took what little money I had and bought a plane ticket.
I still remember a letter she sent me before I went out to see her, the rush of emotion and I saw my feelings reflected on the page and her feeling that we would be spending plenty of our upcoming visit naked and wow holy shit man here we go and this is the greatest feeling ever, my god its going to happen.
And then I was off to Rawlins Cross.
--------------------------------
Dreams do come true, see, and interesting news has popped up recently about the Oilers. I'm not talking about our friend Mario Jr. either although it will be interesting to see if they can lure him to Canada this summer.
Nope, I'm talking about your man Jay Bouwmeester, a shutdown defenceman who plays nearly thirty minutes a game and throws in some offence to boot, unrestricted this summer, who may be in play for the Oilers if the scuttlebutt is to be believed.
With Florida in a race for the playoffs its unlikely that Bouwmeester is a rental but its also become quite clear that he's not signing there in July. The conventional wisdom is that Bouwmeester did not want to play in his hometown but when Al Strachan says that the Oilers are in play then I listen. Strachan is a dink but he's tied in, remember Pronger?
Now when it all comes down to this I will believe it when I see it but landing Bouwmeester would be a massive coup and give the Oilers a player on the back end to match Hemsky up front. A young franchise defenceman and of course then the Oilers would be able to deal from strength to address other needs.
Stars shining bright above you
Night breezes seem to whisper "I love you"
Birds singin' in the sycamore tree
Dream a little dream of me
Say nighty-night and kiss me
Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me
While I'm alone and blue as can be
Dream a little dream of me
Stars fading but I linger on dear
Still craving your kiss
I'm longing to linger till dawn dear
Just saying this
Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you
But in your dreams whatever they be
Dream a little dream of me

12 comments:

Olivier said...

Saw Bouwmeester play the habs this year. If he is dealt, dude will fetch a massive, massive return. More than Hossa, I'm sure. If not, whomever is GM in FLA is a dork.

He would look good on Mtl backend too. And it looks like Gainey may need to shake things up. We'll see.

Great blog. Keep it on.

rsm said...

Hey I hear someone in FLA was a dork a couple of years back... might be something in the water.

BD, just got here from LT's site. Awesome.

hunter1909 said...

Oilers won't get Bouwmeester.

He doesn't like the idea of playing for the Oilers.

Like, who can blame him?

Black Dog said...

thanks olivier - I don't think they deal him though unless they want to kill what's left of hockey there; maybe they deal him in the summer like Nashville did with Hartnell and Timmonen

welcome rsm - thanks

Swabbubba said...

Hunter quit be a buzz kill. Man you remind of a buddies lil bro back in high school chirpin until he got tossed from the car.
Now back to the dreams JayBo in Oiler silks.
Does Montreal not have another goalie poor Price. The game was over why torture him? Plekanec has pole outside Rexall reserved for his noggin. The Habs are chippy bunch.

A dedication to our smooth operator Blackdog!

doritogrande said...

I've never exactly been enamoured by Bouwmeester the way the majority is. He plays like Tom Gilbert, but at twice the price come the offseason. Now his teammate Bryan Allen...there's the guy I'd target.

Were we to go after Bouwmeester given the injuries to our second-pair defenders, I could only hope that after the season is over, we sell his rights to the highest bidder immediately for a pick. This way at least, we re-coup our losses.

HBomb said...

Hunter, you dumbass, pay attention for once and stop being such a negative fucking prick. Either that or provide your backing for your claim.

Three years ago, Bouwmeester wanted no part of Edmonton. Things change though. From what I understand, he's either married to or engaged to a local girl (makes sense, seeing he's from here), and now that he's a bit older, he's sick of playing in a market where "no one cares about hockey".

He's growing up and his attitudes are changing. If he WANTS to come to Edmonton, well, hot damn, it could end up being a coup for the Oilers. As BDHS has mentioned, you add Bouwmeester to Hemsky and you've got two pillars around which you build this team for the next decade.

And once you do have him, you can fetch an impressive return for one of Souray, Visnovsky and Gilbert. That in itself is a fascinating debate. If they land J-Bo....who should go?

Black Dog said...

swabb - you're a beaut

Hbomb - Souray, sell high.

dg - the rumours say it would be signing as a FA, not coming in a trade

Multiple sources now although I am sure in a couple of cases one guy just copied and pasted what he heard from elsewhere.

Garrioch is one - I put no stock in him at all - but when Strachan says something my ears prick up.

dg - I like him a lot. I don't want to give him 8mm per but if its reasonable a guy who can play those minutes, play them well and add some offence is a guy you want, especially considering his age

hunter1909 said...

HBomb - Last time I got called out for stating a fact, it was that Toe Blake had not ONCE called his players out in public. Having been attacked as per usual, I asked Red Fisher, that 1,000 year old hockey writer from Montreal, and guess what? Red backed up my original words.

And as for Bouwmeester, I'm not only going by public knowledge that he doesn't want to walk around his hometown being bothered 24/7, but using elementary principles of deductive reasoning, I've come to the conclusion that no player in his right mind particularly wants to play for this current setup. Last night's blowout of the Habs aside, this is not an up and coming team, like the Oilers brass want us to think. This is a team spinning it's collective wheels, while the mismanagement of the salary cap provided by Lowe has hamstrung the future nearly as effectively as the pre-CBA days. As I seem to be one of the few fans who actually show much understanding of the maths involved re this salary cap upcoming disaster, I suppose I have to take the slings and arrows that come with knowing something before everyone else.

Sorry for not being quite so enthusiastic about the future as 99% of the various internet posters, but, like I've stated, I know what's coming down the road, and it's not looking too awesome. And, if that's somehow my fucking fault, then please yourselves with your ongoing villification, since it doesn't mean anything to me at all.

Bruce said...

Hunter: You describe a Catch 22, the organization spinning its wheels and anybody who might provide a little traction not wanting to come here because the organization is spinning its wheels. The acquisition of a real difference maker can change everything, as we saw with Chris Pronger in 2005-06. Whether Jay Bouwmeester could be a similar difference maker in 2009-10 and beyond is open to question, but it would be interesting to find out. At 25 amd with 450 games experience, he's maturing into a Very nice player.

Bouwmeester was the one guy who I thought it made sense to trade Pronger one-for-one that fateful off-season.

HBomb said...

Hunter: The buzz on Bouwmeester not wanting to be here is 2006. This is 2009, and from everything I've seen and read, well, things may just have changed for the better, at least from the Oiler point of view.

I challenge you to provide hard proof to the contrary of what's been out there the last few weeks. Otherwise, STFU. This team is not in perfect shape by any means, and I have just as much a problem with mis-steps (Glencross, Hejda, etc.) by Lowe as anyone else. But it's not a hopeless mess either. Not by a longshot. Hemsky, Horcoff, Gagner, Cogliano, Souray, Gilbert, Visnovsky.....that's a damn good start.

raventalon40 said...

So I'm going to get my Oilers Bouwmeester jersey made ...