Friday, May 26, 2006

Laisse aller vous Sabres!


I used to live and work in Clearwater Florida. We still have an office there. When the Flames and Bolts were playing for the Cup in '04 I spoke to a coworker down there (a hockey fan, originally from Michigan) and asked him if there was any buzz surrounding the Lightning.

He said that if they won, probably 20,000 people would care.

Now, I don't believe in the whole "this team deserves to win etc etc" deal that some, especially embittered Canucks' fans, seem to raise. The Oil don't deserve to win because they have won five Cups. The Habs don't because they have their quota for the next 300 years. And so on.

But I have to say that if any team should get a shot from the East, the Sabres are as good a choice as any.

A small market team from a city that actually cares about the sport. A rich history with great players - the French Connection, Danny Gare, Barrasso, Lafontaine and Mogilny, Peca, Hasek. A blue collar team full of castoffs and youngsters that plays with heart and skill and speed.

And if you have never heard a Sabres' game on the radio it is FUN.

Last round some wag said that if the Sabres and Oilers met that they'd have to stock up on officials because there would be a lot of pulled quads as they tried to keep up.

The Oil aren't there yet.

And the Sabres are in a world of trouble, missing three of their top six D as well as Tim Connolly.

But if they win tonight they'll be a win away.

Be careful what you wish for, right? But at this point, everyone scares the hell out of me. The Sabres. The Canes. And yes, until they are dead and buried, the Ducks.

If the Oil finished off the Ducks and had to face Merv for the Cup I would soil myself.

But if you are sacrificing a goat at the base of a lifesize stone carving of Howie Morenz tonight to try and win favour for the Oil, perhaps put a kidney or a testicle or two aside for Les Sabres.

5 comments:

mudcrutch79 said...

Fuck yeah! Merv reference!

We'd kill the Oilers of course. We're one of those teams that just wins hockey games. I don't know how many games we won with 8 guys this year but it was a lot. Los Oil would have not a chance in the world.

But yeah, I agree. The Ducks still worry me as well. I want them dead.

Black Dog Hates Skunks said...

Thought you'd like that.

The Ducks. They are dead.

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.